Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Extreme


One of my favorite themes is what I call "Drive By Shooting" where I photograph people and vehicles... and people in vehicles that are either driving by me or I am driving my them or both. This also includes people along the side of the street (photographing bus stops are especially interesting) as I am driving by.

For the sake of safety... it is a "catch as you can" type of photography. My eyes and attention are on the road when I'm driving... and I rarely catch more than a glimpse at what I am photographing. Good composition is mostly by chance. When I get home and go through the hundreds of images... there might be one or two that are good captures. It's more the enjoyment of doing it rather than satisfaction of a lot of great results.

My camera is tripod mounted on the floor of my van between the two front seats. Usually pointing out the passenger side window (which is open) and set on auto focus and usually speed priority. Few of my drive bys will be completely sharp... that's part of the effect. Even at 1/1000 sec there is minimal camera shake from the vehicle itself... the movement and speed of the camera source... as well as the subject... all factors that contribute to the rapid drive by effect.

And again... if I'm shooting from my vehicle... I am not looking at the subject. My eyes and attention are on the road. Good results are mostly by chance... but that's what makes it an interesting challenge and finding a good shot becomes an exciting discovery.

Tech Data: Nikon D-70; AF-S Nikkor 18-70 @ 35mm; 1\1000 @ f8;

Portfolio: Drive By Shooting