Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A Single Step



This was my first complete photograph taken more years ago than I care to remember. Complete because it was the first time I had ever taken a photograph... developed the film... and printed and processed the final picture. It was my sophomore year in high school... I had just joined the yearbook staff... and was sent to cover a track meet. My first attempt at photography with other than a "point and shoot" snapshot camera was a disaster. I attempted to capture a shot-put competitor just after the shot was released.


The photo was underexposed... blurred... and poorly composed. In making the print... I had the photo-paper in the enlarger easel crooked... and even managed to fog the border. Obviously... it was destined for the trash... but my darkroom mentor recommended that I keep it. He said not only would it be a reminder of how not to do something... but later I could look back on this photograph and remember fondly of how it all began.


Confucius is reported to have said... "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." For me in photography it was more like a stumble. But photography has remained an important part of my life since that first single step.

(Resubmitted for ShutterDay 19 February 2007: "First")